the following recipe can be adapted and expanded to include, cheese, herbs, spices, banana (or any fruit) puree and is lots of fun to play with so go ahead and have a ball. the simplicity is almost ridiculous and the value is priceless. these cakes can be made and eaten right away or they can be stored in an airtight container right on the counter for a few days and then pan toasted before eating and serving. OH! if you love smoking meats or slow braising meats, these cakes are a must for your repertoire. they are a cool twist on southern corn bread and will hold even the most saucy pulled pork or brisket if you are looking for an edible carrier for all that summer lovin.' if they are going past two days, i recommend putting them in the refrigerator to avoid spoiling. if you come up with any interesting new recipes or ways to serve the cakes when you bring your Family2Table, please email me and let me know! enjoy! xx
BUTTERMILK CORN CAKES
2 cups organic corn flour (corn meal)
1/2 tsp. aluminum free baking soda
2 pinches of sea salt
1 1/2 cups cultured (raw) buttermilk
combine dry ingredients
add buttermilk and mix to a thick batter
1. heat a cast iron skillet on medium flame till very hot
2. add 1 Tbs. pastured lard and 1 Tablespoon grass fed ghee and melt.
3. When fat is hot, add one large soup spoon of batter to the pan per cake. I do 3 at a time.
4. after about a minute and a half to 2 minutes, flip. depending on the pan and the heat source, this can vary so please watch what you are doing and never let the pan or the cakes burn. you want them golden and crisp, not black and burnt.
5. when they are golden on both sides, put them aside (or eat them while they are hot!)
6. enjoy with your condiments and accompaniments of choice.